Sat, Feb 21 Veracruz to Villahermosa, Mexico


Today was a very long mileage day. I started on a full tank of gas and filled up 3 times. Although I've been trying to avoid the toll roads, opting for the "libre" instead of the "cuota" routes, it is difficult in this part of the country.



Most of the day was spent "in the zone", just riding, singing to myself (yeah, I do that), and generally thinking about life, or sometimes nothing at all. I tried turning on the radio for the first time this trip - it only lasted about 2 minutes, because it took my concentration off the road and my thoughts, which I suppose is the reason for radios anyway.


This morning, around Veracruz, I saw lots of campgrounds and hotels that offered camping. There were so many I figured there would be some when I'm ready to stop for the night. This was not the case, and I kept riding until about 6:30 when the sun was almost gone before pulling into an overpriced motor inn next to a gas station. 300 pesos, and there's no hot water, not very secure parking, and the window shows me a wall of the industrial building next door. I'm in Villahermosa, a tourst town with billboards advertising hotel specials starting at 499.


Tomorrow I'm headed straight towards Belize. I don't know if I'll get to cross the border tomorrow, but I'm not pressed for time- I still have more than a week before my classes start.


I talked to my roommate today as well, and a sublettor has been arranged! I can now relax and finally get lost, because I have until May 1 to be back to NYC.

Not a pleasant sight to see while walking on the beach.

It's a maximum security motel.

No comments:

Post a Comment