Thursday, March 5 Xela, Guatemala

If you're wondering why there is a sudden gap in my entries, it is because I'm not really traveling right now - I'm in Quetzaltenango learning how to speak spanish in 2 weeks (I'm starting to realize that it is actually possible).

If you're curious as to how that's going, it's really cool. The family I live with feeds me 3 meals a day, usually simple but hearty meals. They speak absolutely no english, so if I need or want to communicate with them, I have to use my terrible spanish, and hope to understand their response. There's also a few children in the house - they're especially difficult to understand, but easiest to talk to (usually they point to my moto gear or trumpet stuff and ask what it is, and questions like that).

I took a ride today for about an hour and a half, up a road that I didn't quite find on the map, so I went as far as the road went, until it turned into sand, and turned around and came back. The bike ran terribly. This is partially because it hasn't been ridden in a few days, partially because the elevation here is so high, and partially because it was so dirty (the back brake made some terrible sounds). I did get a great view of the city that doesn't seem to be very common. If I had my digital camera, I'd post some pictures of it up, but alas, it is somewhere in Antigua.

After muchos verbos and such, my brain is pretty stuffed for the week. I think this weekend I'll ride down to the beach and get some sun on the rest of my body besides my nose and the bottom half of my cheeks. It will be my first time at the Pacific Ocean this trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment