Saturday, Feb 14 - Mississippi to Texas

This trip definitelyisn't getting any easier. The day started and ended rather wet, with a slight overdose of frustration towards the end.

In the morning I met an interesting guy. He's the type who at first seems normal enough, but quickly starts talking about life and you realize he's a little smarter and quirkier than the average person hanging around Mississippi. We met a guy like this in Southern Utah this summer - the type that it able to look at the world truly objectively, then develop an opinion on it. This guy was an anthropologist who specializes in astonomy-anthropology relations, but is currently working on uncovering a new theory on the history of the Natchez Trace. I got a ton of information from him that helped me appreciate the history behind the road I've been riding down the past few hundred miles. Most of my stuff was still wet from last night, including the intense downpours that woke me up a couple times. I strapped a couple things to the top of the bike, but even now they're still wet.

I decided to take a stop and have something I hadn't enjoyed the past 3 days - a cup of coffee and some real breakfast. This was shortly after crossing the border into Louisiana, and was very good.

I picked out a campground that looked nice on the map, that was close enough that I could turn in early and make a nice dinner before it gets dark. Little did I know, Sabine Pass State Park is a)closed, b)at the end of a long road full of huge oil facilities and really poor towns, and c)nowhere near any other campground. I saw an RV park nearby, and when I called the number to check in (strange as it is), the woman snapped at me, and threatened to "call the law" if I tried to set up a tent on her property. On top of this, it had started to rain, and I was dangerously low on fuel and not really near and gas stations, or anything else for that matter.

A funny thing about Texas is that although they make a huge deal about everything being so big and expansive, Texans are very territorial - there were more fences and No Tresspassing signs here than in any other state I'd been to. No ninja camping tonight, I'm afraid I'd get shot or arrested or something.

Eventually, on the way to a state park campground far out of my way, I saw a "camping" sign that let to another RV park, this one more crowded with huge motorhomes, and seemingly better equipped. They wanted $15 a night (beats the $35 motor home rate), which puts me significantly over budget, but at least I get a nice shower and can still cook my meal, albeit in darkness.

As if I wasn't frustrated enough, I left some things out to dry while in the shower, and got out to find it had rained, either quickly and hard, or the entire time I was in there, because now everything is once again soaked. I hope my cameras still work. Tomorrow will be chock full o' Texas. I don't think I like Texas.

No comments:

Post a Comment