Wed, Feb 18 Valles to Pachuca, Mexico

Some very hard riding today, on some twisty, bumpy, sometimes gravelly and/or slippery roads from one tiny mountain village to another.


I was shown even more of Mexico's infinite number of climate zones. Some parts of my ride today could have been in Vietnam, some in the Swiss Alps. There was also some high desert terrain a la southern British Columbia, and some rush hour city driving through Pachuca.


Every one of the towns I passed through had a unique vibe - no two were even similar, but they all had a certain Mexican-ness that I'm unable to describe. Some I drove through, some I ride through at 5 mph, some I stopped to take a picture, and one of the larger towns, of which I'm not even sure is on my map, I took my time. I started with some of the best orange juice I've had, and walked around a bit, through the market, and got an awesome flour/corn/cheesey fried thing from a street vendor that was delicious, and only 4 pesos.


I find that sunblock really works. When I left the hotel this morning it was cloudy and overcast, and once it cleared up I didn't stop to put some on. When I realized I was crisping, I put some on and didn't get any more burnt. Figures.


It took a long time, but after battling the city traffic in Pachuca, I found a hotel for 240 pesos, not bad, being that it has a private garage (where I gave big mama a much needed bath) and a nice shower. I get the feeling most of these cheaper hotels are not exactly designed for sleeping. Perhaps it's the room service "menu" here, or that the workers always seem to be quicker to quote me on the 4 hour rate than the "todo la noche" price. Regardless, they're cheap, mostly clean, and kind of cool and unique - a step up from Super 8 in my book.


Hopefully tomorrow I can cover more ground in Mexico - this country is really big, and I haven't been always going directly south. I'm a little anxious to get to Belize, where I can understand people and relax after a few days before going to Guatemala to finally learn some Spanish.


It looks so out of place in these towns...




Bus stop.



The "menu"

No comments:

Post a Comment