Tuesday, Feb 17 Victoria to Valles, Mexico






Today started with one of the most beautiful and challenging rides I've had yet. Right out of Victoria, the road (which wasn't easy to find) dove straight into, and up, the mountains. The pavement was mostly smooth, and the curves were nicely banked, although there were no guard rails to keep me from falling to my death if I took a curve too wide. Best of all, there was almost no other vehicles besides myself, so I didn't have to worry about passing slow trucks. I could also pull over and take pictures with no passing cars. I didn't do this much, because the riding was too good.

Once the road mellowed out, it was mostly large fields with small trees and cactus. Also at this point I crossed the Tropic of Cancer. A few of the towns I rode through were completely stuck in time. It could have been any point in the last 100 years and the towns would look just like they do now, including the clothes, cars, mules on the side of the road, everything.

After a few of these towns, the road got twisty again, this time with huge trucks overstuffed with unintelligable agriculture. It was also getting hot out, and my shift lever continues to act funny, so I stopped in a rare shady spot and had some peanut butter (I'm out of granola bars) while I read the bike manual. It had no good suggestions except "lubricate hinges". I'm pretty sure it's not the hinges, and since the bike is running great besides that, I'm afraid I'll mess something up in I investigate further.

I ended up in Ciudad Valles where I sprung for the 300 peso hotel. Again, this puts me over budget, but I'm really tired and don't care right now. This hotel is nice and clean, with remote controlled A/C and television. I really shouldn't make this a habit, so I went to the supermarcado across the street and got a cheap dinner of queso Oaxaca (which is absolutely awesome and addicting) and prepackaged refried beans. I also got a big bottle of water, oatmeal for a few breakfasts, and a can of soda, everything for about 50 pesos.

A lot of people tend to stare at me. Probably because 1)they have never seen such a huge motorcycle before, and 2)I am the only American in the whole province of San Luis Potosi. This is OK, because I stare back. This is because 1) I cant belive these old trucks can take that much of a beating and still run, 2)I've never seen people who use a mule instead of a car, 3)That guy had a HUGE mustache, and 4) I like Mexicans, and can understand their lives' frustrations, joys, and curiosities. So I smile and wave, and they usually wave back.

3 comments:

  1. Those old trucks you see may be running better than your bike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for pictures! Post more soon! I miss Mexico even if I was only there once.
    One thing to watch out for when you get to bigger cities instead of villages: the rule of the road in cities is "Get out of my way." And if you aren't quick enough, you'll be squished. Kind of like driving a motorcycle in NYC, I'm sure, except in Mexico City, Oaxaca, and Puerto Vallarta (where I was) they don't seem to have ANY kind of traffic laws. Oh, the stop signs were there, but no one paid any attention to them!
    By the way, some of us still use farm trucks like that in ND these days...ours didn't have any floorboards around the shifter so you had to make sure nothing fell off the seat or the dash or it ended up behind you on the road!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marc- Al the service mgr at the Yamaha dealer said to spray WD-40 or similar oil into the shaft of the shift lever. It may have salt and road dirt on it. (how do you say WD-40 in Spanish?)
    Have a shot of tequila for me! No worms please...

    ReplyDelete