Monday, March 9 - Brake Problems

I finally got a chance to take off the side case and see what is making that weird sound in the back brake.

The mechanic who changed my tires before I left told me that I'd need new pads eventually, but could do it when I got back from the trip. He was very wrong.

The pads wore down to the metal, and have been scraping grooves into the rotor. Now I not only need new brake pads, but something needs to be done about the rotor, or else the new pads won't last me the ride back to the states.

I ordered some pads online, and they should be here in a week or so. Which means I might have to stay at the school another week, or else I'll just be waiting with nothing to do. Meanwhile, I can try to find someone here that might be able to use a lathe to smooth out the rotor. I'm sure it's possible, because they reuse everything here, especially automotive parts.

Regardless, I am unable to do any riding for a little while - something I'm pretty bummed out about. For now, it's more huevos y frijoles.

No comments:

Post a Comment