Wednesday, March 18 - Frustrated in Xela

I'm still living with my host family from the school, although I'm not taking any more classes. I will leave Xela as soon as I get the brake pads in the mail, but for now I'm stuck here. Of course, there are worse places to be stuck.

What is frustrating is that I'm also getting sick, probably at least partially by a lack of good nutrition - my family basically eats all starch and no greens - a meal might be something like beans, a ham sandwich that I won't really eat, tortillas, corn thingies, and sweet bread for dessert, to go with the crappy powdered coffee that everyone drinks here. Unfortunately, almost all of the amazing coffee produced here is exported, leaving the locals to drink the cheap powdered stuff made in Colombia.

Yesterday I had to go to the market to get some fruit. I ended up with 15 mangoes that I got for 5Q, about 75 cents. I have no clue what I'm going to do with 15 mangoes, besides poop a lot. I also got some avocadoes and bananas, so hopefully now I'll be getting enough vitamins to fight this off.

I've also been back and forth with the decision to go further south. I'm not sure how my new brake pads will hold out with a grooved rotor, and I've heard some terrible things about the Honduras border crossing. Money and safety is also an issue. On the contrary, I've heard some amazing things about Honduras and El Salvador, and upon more research found out about a border crossing near Copán Ruinas that is supposed to be the lesser corrupt of them. Like I always do, I won't know where I'm going until I get there. For now, I'm sick, stuck, and slightly frustrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment